An online copywriting workshop for non-native speakers who have to write in English
These days, we’re all copywriters.
The word may not be on your business card, but the chances are that you have to write regularly.
Whether it’s for social media, email or blog content, the writing needs to be clear, informative and persuasive.
Where do you start? How do you match creative flair with the demands of the brief? And how do you judge whether your copy’s any good?
This online workshop covers the core skills of producing copy that sells, promotes and nudges your reader to act. You’ll leave with a wealth of ideas to transform your copy, on time and on budget.
We’ll look at how to:
Be ready to write: we’ll be creating – and peer-reviewing – real copy in real time.
We also aim to have a good deal of fun.
This course is limited to eight delegates.
Who is this workshop aimed at?
The Essentials of Copywriting is designed for marketing, comms and PR professionals, and anyone who produces copy as part of their work. The workshop will also be of interest to freelancers and self-identified copywriters who want to upskill and broaden their horizons.
We’ll be running The Essentials of Copywriting on Zoom.
We’ll also be using email in parallel during the workshop, to submit and collate writing assignments.
• Introduction and objectives
• Three-dimensional copywriting: sense, structure, style
• Taking a systematic approach
• Profiling your reader
• Instant copywriting
• What works: the basic half-dozen techniques
• Four (and more) ways to make your copy zing
• The reader contract (what it is and how to respond to it)
• Fitting the context: design, format, medium
• Shaping the copy: structures that work
• Finding your voice (and developing it)
• Making sense of benefits (and making them interesting)
• Awakening desire: six patterns of influence
• When stories really work (and how to use them)
• Building commitment
• Crafting the CTA (the do’s and don’t’s)
• Developing your style
• How to stop writing the obvious
• Breaking through copywriter’s block
• Five ways to write more compelling headlines
• Going creative: avoiding the bland, the bloated and the boring
• Adapting your skills to different media
• Creating a workable copywriting brief
You’ll leave with:
Participating in The Essentials of Copywriting also plugs you into the Guild of European Copywriters, a new community of copywriting professionals across the continent, offering ongoing support and advice.
Alan Barker is an associate of the Guild of European Copywriters and an Affiliate of the Chartered Institute of Marketing in the UK.
He has over 25 years’ experience training and coaching communication skills, specialising in the fields of effective speaking and writing. He is also a member of the European Speechwriter Network, for whom he runs regular training workshops in London and across Europe.
Alan has worked on every continent apart from (so far) Australia and Antarctica. He is the author of over twenty books and ebooks. Improve Your Communication Skills (Kogan Page) and How to Solve Almost Any Problem (Pearson) have been translated into over a dozen languages. Details of his clients and publications are on his blog, which also includes a number of articles on copywriting.
Alan also currently works with the British Science Association and has a particular interest in science communication. Other regular clients include ICAEW, the Greater London Authority and the Civil Service College.
Before becoming a training consultant, Alan was a professional actor for fifteen years, working on stage, television and radio.